Monday, February 2, 2009

Good Drugs


I have been missing Isaac.
I miss picking him up at the sitters and I miss the activity he creates when he is here. Although Gerry would lay down his life for him, Isaac's presence for great periods of time is not conducive to healing! So I was thrilled to have Jen, Wayne and Isaac visit last night for supper and to spend some time with us.
When they arrived, I tried to grab Isaac for a quick hug...but he ran away, spying something interesting to explore. Throughout the visit, I would endeavor to playfully grab him but, in his exuberance, he would giggle and wiggle free. Jen mentioned that he it is hard to get a cuddle from him since he is busy learning experientially!
About an hour after supper, Gerry went to get a "cup of tea" and Isaac wanted a "cuppateatoo". It has become a tradition. Gerry has his tea and Isaac has his chocolate milk or some other drink, in this case, red Gatorade. They sat side by side on the couch with their "tea" and toasted with the traditional "Cheers" chant, clicking Corel cups with vigor; Isaac more vigorous than Gerry.
It was then, that I saw my chance. I sat by Isaac and he was now positioned between Gerry and I. After one of the toasts, I gently put my arm around him and drew him near. I kissed his sweet little head and as he sipped his Gatorade. I held my lips to it for a long time. It was as if a stream of well-being transcended from his warm little fine-haired head, passed osmotically through my lips and was directed to a pleasure seeking portion of my brain. I felt great comfort. It was a drug more effective and pleasurable than anything that could be bought in the best pharmacy in the world or purchased illicitly in any dark alley of a big city. It was free and it was legal and I took a few more "hits" of it before the night was over.

No comments:

Post a Comment