Last Saturday, Gerry experienced very few moments of lucidity but one of those moments will stand out prominently in my mind forever.
He had been taken by ambulance to the hospital. I was out of the room fetching something while Sister Darlene guarded Gerry. When I returned the nurse was giving Gerry an injection. Of course, I was curious as to what drug was being infused into my husband's body. When Darl said the word "morphine" my mind numbed. MORPHINE. Gerry was really sick. Gerry was in a lot of pain.
After the nurse left the room, I sat on a chair beside Gerry's sleeping body and held his hand. I started to cry and put my head on the bed rail. I quietly sobbed for the ten thousandth time in thirteen months. His clouded eyes sprung open. He held up the blanket and mumbled, "Slide in." I lowered the rail and laid beside Gerry back to front. He put the blanket over me and enfolded me in his once-muscular arms and comforted me by whispering, "We'll get through it."
Four days later, I once again laid beside him. This time, I was telling him I loved him as he gasped for his last breath. Gerry passed away this morning.
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm so very sorry for your loss, Joyce. There are just no words. You and your family are in my thoughts.
ReplyDeletevery sorry Joyce, my deepest symapthy to you and your Family....A poem I found.
ReplyDeleteGod Saw You...
by Author Unknown
God saw you getting tired,
When a cure was not to be.
So He wrapped his arms around you,
and whispered, "Come to me".
You didn't deserve what you went through,
So He gave you rest.
God's garden must be beautiful,
He only takes the best
And when I saw you sleeping,
So peaceful and free from pain
I could not wish you back
To suffer that again
God be with him and you and your Family.
My heart aches for you; having been in the same position nearly 3 years ago I know your thougts and feelings. I know there is little anyone can do, but later when you really face the aloneness that will come feel free to talk to one who has walked the same path.
ReplyDeleteYou are so lucky to have such good family support and your many friends will help too.
Gerry is in a better place and watching over you and Jen. May the love, comfort and prayers of family and friends see you through this troubled time.
Joyce Mc
Joyce and Jen--You will be busy for a few days and that will alleviate the aloneness which sometimes follows. My late husband, Alden, and Gerry had some great times together. After my last visit on Tuesday, I approached Gerry, said goodbye and whispered in his ear to say hello to my husband for me. There are no words to describe when one is taken so young. Joyce, you and your family are in my thoughts.
ReplyDeleteCarol
That poem is so fitting. We're so sad to have lost dad but it would be selfish to wish him back. He went through so much and had been in a lot much pain. Dad was right, we will get through it but it won't be easy.
ReplyDeleteJen
ReplyDeleteI can tell you like all the others there is only one thing that will take your pain away and that is time.And to try to think of all the great moments you and your dad and mom and family enjoyed and to try as best you can push all his pain and suffering to the very back of your mind and know he is no longer suffering.
I have lost two birth brothers, two mothers, a dad and a sister and my 7 month old grandson and countless others, and time will heal you and memorys of special moments will always keep your Dad alive.Try to think of all the good times, it helps.
love Cathy
Joyce we'll be praying for You and Your family. Love The Munssters
ReplyDelete